Wednesday 25 November 2015

Recreation of Image and Photo Study

Makeup: Photo Study and Recreation of Fashion Photograph

For our fashion makeup lesson today an image we given to us and we had to recreate the makeup on the spot. This tested our abilities to spot detail and gave us the opportunity to study the photo and improvise with the products we had.

This is the image I had to recreate. As you can see the base is very clean and dewy. The eyebrows are filled in to look fuller and they frame the points for where the eye shadow is to be applied. The eye shadow is an orangey cork colour which is applied all over the eye area aside from the brow bone. It is also smudged on the lower lash line. The waterline appears to be quite light so as to contrast with the orange shadow. The upper lash line seems to be a bit darker and the lashes have black mascara on them which is quite visible. The lips are a deep plum tone and a quite full. Gloss is also added over the lipstick for shine.

Photo Study Image
Firstly I decided to apply the base as the eye area doesn't have dramatic dark colours so I felt fall out wouldn't be a big problem with this look, The skin in the photo is quite dewy and the foundation doesn't look very heavy on the skin. I used MAC Face and Body Foundation as I knew this foundation is light but building and as my model has great clear skin I knew I didn't have to have a heavy coverage so Full Coverage would have been unnecessary.  I am aware the models skin in the photograph is quite pale but that is the model natural skin tone. Because of this I didn't feel like I needed to pale my foundation tone down so I matched it to the natural skin tone of my model too. Once I cleansed the face with micellar water and moisturized the skin I moved on to foundation application. I used a buffing brush to apply and smooth the foundation into the skin staring from the center of the face and blending outwards. I then moved on to concealer. I used the Kryolan Derma Color Palette and mixed up a concealer shade using the D32 colour to counteract any dark tones under the eyes. I got my model to tilt her head forward and look straight ahead, this gives me a clear indication of where product is needed. I then applied the concealer to the under eyes and any areas of the face that needed extra coverage which for my model was around the nose area. I blended the concealer into the skin and applied loose powder over these areas. I wanted to further add highlight to the nose, cheekbones and chin so I used MAC Strobe cream to do this.

Now that the skin is done I then moved on the the brows. I filled in the brows using the eye shadows 'Cork' and 'Brule' from MAC. With an angled brush I sweeped the colour through the brows and then used MAC Brow Gel to keep the hair in place and lock in the colour. The eye shadow shade is an orange shade so I used a couple of different shades mixed together to create the shade which I think best represented the one in the photograph. I took my MAC Eye Shadow Palette and used 'Rule' on a flat eye shadow brush and dusted this over the eye lid, inner corner and outer edge of the eye. The eye makeup is quite angular to I was careful to create straight lines on the outer edges of the eye. I highlighted the brow bone with MAC 'Brule' eye shadow. I took MAC's 'Carbon' on a small angled brush and pressed this into the upper lash line. Then using a small eye smudging brush I blended this out softly. As the water line is quite light I used a Kryolan white eye pencil on the waterline. The waterline in the photograph isn't white so I only made the waterline slightly lighter by sweeping the pencil through the waterline one or twice. The result was faint but just what I was going for. I then took the orange shade with which I applied to the upper eye lid, underneath the lower lash line and blended with out with a small fluffy brush. In the image the upper lashes look dark whereas the lower lashes appear to have no product on them. Therefore I only applied mascara to the top lashes with a fan brush.

The lips were the next step of the makeup. When looking at the image I realized that the models cupids bow was very angular and sharp. I recreated this by using a flat brush as this has a harsh edge so would give me the pointed effect. I mixed 'Hang Up' and 'Cyber' by MAC until I felt the shade matched and painted the lips starting with outlining the cupids bow and the edge of the bottom lip. This gave me a guideline. I could have used a plum lip liner before I went straight on with the lipstick but I felt I could get a cleaner, sharper edge with a flat brush. after applying the lipstick I ran out of time so I didn't get to build up the colour on the lips more and add lip gloss. This is my final outcome:

MUA: Chelsey Pavey
Model: Sophie

MUA: Chelsey Pavey
Model: Sophie

Products

MAC Eye Shadow 'Cranberry'
MAC Eye Shadow 'Rule'
MAC Eye Shadow 'Omega'
MAC Eye Shadow 'Cork'
MAC Eye Shadow 'Brule'
MAC Face and Body
Kryolan Derma Color Palette
Mascara
Kryolan Translucent Powder
MAC Strobe Highlighter
Kryolan White Eye Pencil
MAC 'Hang up' Lipstick
MAC 'Cyber' Lipstick

Evaluation


I found today's lesson very helpful and interesting as it gave me an insight as what could happen in industry. I have heard hat sometimes you can turn up to a job and been given a makeup look to follow (especially in fashion) but I have never had the opportunity to really study a photo a create it on a model.

What Went Well: I think product choice really represented my progress as I felt comfortable to select and mix products in order to match the colours and effects of the ones in the photograph. I think my final outcome did resemble the photograph although if I was to do it again I would change some elements.

How I could Improve: My timing seems to be an issue as I didn't get to finish the makeup which made me a bit disappointing. I think this is because where I was the model beforehand, we spent a bit more time taking photos from the previous makeup application therefore running into my time. To fix this I should have tried to speed up my application on the base so I could focus more attention and time on the eye makeup or lips. I didn't get time to add more colour to the lips to darken them and shape them more and I also didn't add gloss. Although I thought the makeup resembled the photograph I still think If I finished the look it would've looked a lot better. I think the eye makeup could be a bit more vibrant as in the photo they stand out more. My model had smaller lips than the model in the image so I think that made a big difference. To fix this problem I should have overdrawn them a little bit more to make them appear fuller.

Looking back at my final outcome compared to the original image I can see quite a lot of things I would change or add to. Regardless of the problems I faced today due to my timing issues I still thoroughly enjoyed this exercise.




No comments:

Post a Comment