Sunday 22 November 2015

Creative Lips

Makeup: Creative Lips


Following one of my fashion makeup sessions we were asked to experiment with creative lips designs. We needed to do at least 5 looks. I focused mine on what I had learnt in my fashion makeup sessions and decided to create different glitter and ombre looks.

I mainly used one palette to create these looks as I found it has a lot of shades with which I could work with for various bright colours. This palette is the Kryolan Lip Palette. I found this palette really helpful as it not only has plain cool tones it also has shimmer and glitter lipsticks too. It was fun to experiment with different colour combinations.


Kryolan Lip Palette
Photographed by: Chelsey Pavey

I also swatched the shades I used so you can see how they came out on the skin. The colour of each is pretty vibrant as each lipstick is quite pigmented. From left to right I have swatched; Gold & Black mixed which made a dark gold, LC005, Gold, Black, LC122, L BG, Lilac and Silver. Although the Silver, Gold and Turquoise shades came out well in the swatch I personally thought these were all a bit sheer when applied to the lips. I think this may be because they are a shimmer shade as apposed to one solid colour. Seeing how they appear in the photograph below I now think I should have perhaps put more product on the lips when using these shades as they would have appeared bolder like they have in the swatch. 



Swatched Samples of Lipsticks used from the Kryolan Lip Palette
Photographed By: Chelsey Pavey


Purple and Silver Ombre Lip


Purple and Silver Ombre Lip
MUA: Chelsey Pavey

The first look was a purple and silver ombre look. I used the silver to really highlight the middle section of the lip and as the purple was a lot darker it really made this stand out. I lined the lip with MAC Plum Lip Liner starting with marking out the cupids bow and the bottom lip line. I then lined the rest of the lips with small strokes from the outside inwards. I used 'L Lilac' from the Kryolan Lip Palette and coloured in the outside edges of the lips sing a lip brush. I then used ' L Silver' from the same palette on the center of the lips and then blended it with the lip brush. I dabbed MAC Lipglass on the lips to add shine. I am happy with how this turned out although as I had glitter on my lips before this look I can see glitter particles still on the skin around the lips. As this is the best quality photo I could get I used this one but it has made me aware next time I take pictures that I should consider these factors. I should've removed the glitter by pressing tape over the area or a brushing it off with a spoolie. Nevertheless I like the graduation of colour and how it focuses on the center of the lips.
Products


Kryolan Lip Palette
MAC Plum Lip Liner
MAC Lipglass


Red and Gold Ombre Lip


Red and Gold Ombre Lip
MUA: Chelsey Pavey

I then decided to try out an ombre lip using gold and red as I love how these colours look together. I used MAC Ruby Woo lip liner to line the lips and then used 'LC005' from the Kryolan Lip Palette to paint over the liner but avoiding the very middle of the lip. This shade has a slightly orange undertone which I thought would compliment the gold and give it a fiery edge. I then used 'L Gold' from the same Lip Palette and dabbed this colour on the middle of my lip with a finger. I took a lip brush to blend the edges of the two colours and then added MAC Lipglass. I really feel the Lipglass helps blend the colours so it looks more gradual. I also appreciate the slight glitter effect of the gold lipstick although I do think it was hard to capture this look on camera. If I was to do this look again then I would add more gold and blend it through so as to make it more visible and intense. I can also see that the Lipglass has caused the lip stick to bleed a bit on the edges so to fix this next time I would only apply it mainly in the center of the lips and avoid putting it do close to the outside edge. 

Products

MAC Ruby Woo Lip Liner
Kryolan Lip Palette
MAC Lipglass


Black Lip with Green Sequins


Black Lip with Green Sequins
MUA: Chelsey Pavey

To try out some different types of glitter/sequins on the lips I used small sequins which were rectangular. These sequins are hot pink in colour but reflect to a green/blue shade when the light hits them. Because these are so beautiful I wanted them to be the main focus of the lip so I used  black base on the lip to accentuate them. I started off this look by lining the lips with a MAC Black Eyeliner Pencil using the same method as I have previously with the other lip looks. I then filled in the lip using the same liner and coated the lips in the Black lipstick from the Kryolan Lip Palette. I used a finger to dab Vaseline on the lips which will not only give the lip shine but will also give the glitter something to stick to. I then used the same finger to dab in the sequins and added them all over the lips. I loved how this lip looked in person and I think it is a shame that the photo doesn't do it justice. The way the sequins change colour under lighting is beautiful and I'm happy I decided to do this look. If I was to improve this look then I would adjust the lip line on the bottom lip as in the photo it looks a bit wobbly.
Products

MAC Black Eyeliner Pencil
Kryolan Lip Palette 
Vaseline
Sequins

Pink and Turquoise Ombre Lip


Pink and Turquoise Ombre Lip
MUA: Chelsey Pavey

I wanted to further experiment with different colours for the ombre lip effect so I chose pink and turquoise as I felt these colours are not too similar so the colours would stand out more. I used a lip brush to apply the shade LC122 from the Kryolan Lip Palette to the lips. This shade is a pretty pink colour which I thought would instantly stand out against a cooler shade. I then took the turquoise shade which is called 'L BG' from the same palette and dabbed this on the center of my lips with a finger. This colour has a shimmer to it and is slightly more sheer in texture which meant I had to built the colour up more. I then blended the two shades together by using the lip brush with the existing pink lipstick on it and used MAC Lipglass to add shine to the lips. This product really sets off and brings out the shimmer in the turquoise shade. I feel I could've made the edges of the lips (particularly the bottom lip) neater by going around the outer edge of the lip line with a concealer 1 shade lighter than my natural skin tone. This would have made the lip line more crisp and clean therefore perfecting the shape of the lips. 

Products

Kryolan Lip Palette 
MAC Lipglass

Gold Ombre Lip with Glitter


Gold Ombre Lip with Glitter
MUA: Chelsey Pavey

When looking at my lip palette I wanted to do an ombre effect with two different shades of gold as I thought I could create a look which was slightly more Avant Garde. I had some red glitter which reflects gold in the light and I wanted to incorporate this in the look as I feel it would set of the theme I set. I started this look by taking the gold Lipstick from my Kryolan Lip Palette and applying this all over the lip with a lip brush. I then decanted some gold and black from the same palette and mixed these colours together to make a darker gold shade. I used roughly two parts gold to one part black. I then applied this with a lip brush to the outside edge of the lips where the natural lip line is. Using my lip brush I blended the two shades of gold together. Then I took some Vaseline on a finger and dabbed the product on my lips to give the glitter something to stick to. I applied the glitter by pressing it into the center of the lips. I loved how this looked in the light and I feel the glitter really went well with the gold shades. Reflecting back on this look, If I was to change anything I would have maybe added some black liner lightly round the lip line and blended this to give the lips more definition and depth. I also feel that this would make the gold and glitter stand out more.  

ProductsKryolan Lip PaletteVaselineRed/Gold Glitter

Evaluation

I thoroughly enjoyed creating each of these looks but if I was going to add to this project I think I would try to do some more creative looks maybe with neat lines or shapes. I did have a go at created a look with nude lips and black lines but as I kept having trouble getting everything to look neat enough I didn't include it in my post. I think this is something I want to perfect before I add it to my blog. I could also experiment with different textures by using thicker glitters, sequins or beads to create different effects. I am now going to invest in these so I can practice and compare them with the work I have already done on this topic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment