Thursday 14 January 2016

Plaiting and Braiding

Hair: Plaiting and Braiding

For our first week back in Term 2 our fashion hair lesson covered the topic of plaits. We learnt different styles of plaits from a demo by our lecturer Emma. The types we covered were french braid, fish tail and we could try and practice dutch braid if we were confident. A french braid and dutch braid are created using a similar method but the effects are very different. The dutch braid is a style which tends to have the braid coming outwards whereas the french has a more inward plait.

French Braid


When it was our turn to have a go at plaiting the hair, I chose to do a french braid as I'm not very confident with these. Starting with a section at the front of the hair I split it in three smaller sections. I took the section on the right and crossed it over the middle section. I then did the same with the left. As I repeat this process working my way down the head I include pieces of hair from each side of the head whenever I cross a section over the middle. When plaiting the hair, it is important to be firm or the plait can be too loose.

Here is my outcome:



Hair by; Chelsey Pavey
French Braid




Evaluation 


What Went Well: I am actually really pleased with my french braid as I usually find it quite hard to do this style. I am happy with how neat it seemed to look when it was finally done as I expected it to be a bit more messy for my first attempt.


What I Could Improve On: Although I am happy with how this plait turned out, I did still find it quite challenging. Plaits can be quite fiddly so getting used to the flow can be a little difficult at the start but I think it got easier once I did it  couple of times. I found that tension was really important and I didn't seem to hand enough when getting to the bottom of the head so the hair seemed too loose. This is something I definitely need to consider when practicing this look in the future.


Fish Tail Plait


I also tried out a fishtail plait. To create this I took a section at the front of the hair and split it into two. I then took one piece from the right section and put it in the left. I did the same for the left side and then followed the same procedure adding in pieces on loose hair on each side as I went down the head.

Here is my outcome for this look:


Hair by: Chelsey Pavey
Fish Tail Plait

Evaluation 


What Went Well: Having done a fish tail plait before I was quite excited to be able to practice a plait with which I might have more skill with. Although I have done the plait, I had never done a scalp fish tail plait so this was a fairly new skill to me. I think overall it is much harder than the others as it can be a bit harder to get tension in the hair and to get it neat.


What I Could Improve On: I struggled more with this style than I thought I would. I knew this could be quite a hard plait to master but plaiting it from the front of the head has proved much for challenging than I originally thought. I still struggled to keep tension in the hair and I think that might be because I was too gentle and need to be a bit more firm.



French Pleats



French Pleats are a relatively simple up do style once it is mastered. As it is a popular and quick style we were taught how to do it. I started off by taking a section of hair at the front of the head to about the middle and clipping it up out the way I moved on to the sides. I back combed the hair and smoothed the right side back firmly. I then slipped in hair grips by over lapping them in a criss cross motion to secure the hair. I then smoothed over the left side and rolled up the remaining hair and tucked it neatly in the hair whilst clipping it in place. I then unclipped the front section and backcombed it. I pinned the same section back in the shape of the pleat. Hairspray was used to smooth down any stray hairs and to keep the style in place.

Here is my final style:



Hair by: Chelsey Pavey
French Pleat

Evaluation



What Went Well: Considering this look is challenging I am glad I managed to get the final look to resemble a french pleat. I thought my first attempt would go a lot worse than it did so I was quite impressed with myself. I feel like with a bit of practice I could really improve and make this a lot neater.


What I Could Improve On: I found that this particular style looks a lot easier than it actually is. I've definitely got to have more practice to master this look as I felt the final outcome was too bulky and not tucked in enough. I should have put more pins in to secure the hair as this probably would have made the pleat look less big too.



No comments:

Post a Comment