Thursday 14 January 2016

Contrasting Colours

Makeup: Contrasting Colours


For our first term 2 fashion makeup lesson we were told to get creative with contrasting colour. These are the colours opposite each other on the colour wheel. For our demo Branka used yellow and purple.

She started off by using strobe cream on the face instead of a moisturizer. This will give the skin more of a dewy glow once the base is applied. The eyes were the main feature for this look so to make sure the colours pop a white base was applied to intensify the colour when it was applied over the top. Kryolan white Grease paint was used for the base. If a long lasting look is required then MAC Paint Pots are a better option and grease paint can tend to crease over time. A yellow eye shadow was pressed into the white base on the lid. To give the crease some definition the light contour shade from the Sleek Contour Kit was swept through it with a fluffy brush.White greasepaint was used to line the waterline. A purple eye shadow was then applied to the lower lash line. Any fall out from the eye makeup was then removed with cleansing water on a cotton pad.

The flawless base was then created with Kryolan Hydro Foundation. A cream highlighter from Topshop was then applied onto the nose, cheekbones, cupids bow, chin and brow bone. The face was then lightly set with powder. The cheekbones were contoured with the cream Media Pro Palette. To make the eyes appear even bolder, a Black Cake Liner was used on the upper lash line to create a winged liner. MAC Brow Gel was combed through the brows and they were lightly filled in with a powder eye shadow in the shade closest to their natural colour. The lips were a kept fairly neutral with a slight peachy tone to them and MAC Lip-glass was dabbed on top to give them shine.

This is the outcome of the demo:


MUA: Branka Vorkapic
Model: Chloe
Products 

Kryolan White Greasepaint
MAC Strobe Cream
Kryolan Hydro Foundation
Media Pro Palette
Sleek Contour Kit in Light
Black Cake Liner
Kryolan Variety Brights Eye shadow Palette
Topshop Cream Highlighter
MAC Brow gel
MAC Lipglass
Translucent Powder
MAC Pink Lip Palette 


For my own interpretation of this lesson I decided to do a look with neon pink and green. I decided I wanted to do a cut crease with my chosen colours and a winged liner. I used Urban Decay Primer Potion on my eyes to give the eye shadow a base to stick to and prolong it. I used tape for this look as I wanted a very crisp angle to the edges. I placed the tape on the outer corner of my eyes with a small gap in between the lower lash line so I can connect the line later on.  I then used the neon pink from the Sleek acid palette in my crease and giving it a winged out effect at the outer corner. This was blended and 'Virgin' from the Naked Urban Decay Palette was then used in the inner corner and brow bone. I then took the Nyx Eye Shadow Base in White and applied this on my lid, making sure to further accentuate the cut crease shape.I then used the neon green from the same Sleek palette as before and pressed this on top of the White base, which really helped the product to stand out. Once I was happy with the contrasting colours I then moved on to the gel liner. Using a small angled brush I painted a line of about medium thickness on my upper lash line and winged it out at the end. I then peeled off the tape to reveal the sharp edge. For the lower lash line I pressed little dots of gel liner very close to the lashes and blended them with a brush. Kryolan White eye pencil was then used on the waterline and inner corner of the eye to open the eye up and make it appear bigger. Mascara was then combed through the lashes on the top and bottom lash lines.

The brows were filled in with MAC Eye shadows in 'Brun' and 'Omega' using and angled brush to sweep the product through any gaps. For the base on the skin I applied MAC Face and Body Foundation with a stippling brush and buffed it in. Sleek concealer in light was the added under my eyes to cover any remaining dark tones and also onto any blemishes on the skin which were still visible. Super cover Translucent Powder was then used to set the base and MAC 'Shadester' was added to lightly contour the cheekbones. To add a tiny bit of colour to the cheeks I chose MAC 'Tenderling' Blush as this is a pale pink and shouldn't over power the existing makeup. I also wanted nude/pale pink lips so I lined my lips with the MAC 'Naked' Lip Liner and the applied the MAC 'Pretty Please' Lipstick on top.

Products

Urban Decay Primer Potion
Nyx Eye shadow Base in White
Sleek Acid Palette
Urban Decay Naked Palette
Maybelline Gel Liner
MAC Eye shadow in 'Brun'
MAC Eye shadow in 'Omega'
MAC Face and Body Foundation
Sleek Light Concealer Palette
Supercover Translucent Powder
MAC 'Shadester' Bronzer
Mascara
MAC Blush in 'Tenderling'
Kryolan White Eye Pencil
MAC 'Naked' Lip Pencil
MAC 'Pretty Please' Lipstick


MUA: Chelsey Pavey
Pink and Green Contrasting Eyes

Evaluation


What Went Well: I really enjoyed creating this look and looking at which colour combination I wanted to do. I chose pink and green as I like these colours together and felt this was the perfect opportunity to use them. The white pencil liner on the waterline seemed to really compliment the colours on the eyes and gave the look a fresh wide-eyed look which I really liked. I chose to give it a sharp winged look by using tape as I felt this would make it even more edgy and unique. I'm also happy with the cut crease idea as I love how it turned out.

What I Could Improve On: Even though I was happy with my outcome, I can still recognize certain elements I could improve on. I used tape for the sharp edged eye shadow look but I think next time I should try and free hand this look. I could've applied the eye shadow and created the angle by wiping off product in a straight line. I just think the tape method is quicker and neater. I also think I should have applied the NYX Eye shadow base on the crease before I started off with the pink. This would have made the pink as vibrant as the green and they would have contrasted a lot more.


No comments:

Post a Comment