Friday 30 October 2015

Karla Powell

Makeup Artist - Karla Powell


MUA: Karla Powell
Photography: Peter Alberti

Karla grew up in the Midlands but moved to London to pursue her makeup career. After studying Theatrical makeup she then went on to gain experience by working for fashion shows and magazines and is now a blogger for MUA cosmetics. Karla has 6 years of experience in industry and is already a recognized name and has work published in many magazines such as; Illusion Magazine, Marie Claire and Kryolan Makeup Artist Magazine. I actually bought a copy of the Kryolan Makeup Artist Magazine from the store and when reading it I found a picture of Karlas 'Envy' makeup from Imats 2014. This is one of my favorite pieces of hers as I have never seen anything quite like it. I love how every detail in this image was thought about from the nails and body paint to the snake accessory she wears. The hair on the model is one of my favorite details as it is braided and twisted so it has a snake like appearance making the model resemble Medusa. 


MUA: Karla Powell
Photographer: Rich Hinton


Karla Powell has always been someone who has inspired me. Her creations leave me in awe and I am always curious of the process from which the final piece came. I first came across Karla Powell's work on social media and instantly began following her work. She regularly updates her blog and upload videos of how she got to the final result of some of her projects and I love following them to see the process and learn new techniques.  As someone who personally struggles with creative hair I admire how well Karla's images are put together with the use of wigs, hair accessories and colours. Karla's ability to put together a whole image using different colours and themes fascinates me. Her avant garde work is so unique and adventurous it made me realize that you can transform someone into a character without the use of special effects. Her creativity encourages me to try out new ideas and I will continue to follow her work and future projects. 



References

Powell, K. (2015). IMATS 2014. [Blog] Karla Powell Makeup Artist. Available at: http://www.karlapowell.co.uk/post/90984857167/imats-london-2014-karla-powell-creative-makeup-snake-mak [Accessed 28 Oct. 2015].

Karlapowell.co.uk, (2015). Clients. [online] Available at: http://www.karlapowell.co.uk/bio [Accessed 30 Oct. 2015].


Battle of the Brushes. (2014). Makeup Artist Magazine, (110), p.59.

No comments:

Post a Comment