Saturday 10 October 2015

Foundations

Makeup: Foundations 



The topic of my first Fashion Makeup session was foundations. My lecturer Branka started the lesson off by talking us through her kit and the products she will be using for the afternoon. In the demo that followed the face was divided in two as each side would have a different foundation applied. The purpose of this was so we could compare the appearance of each product. 

One side showcased the MAC Face and body foundation. This has light/medium coverage and is build-able. The consistency is quite runny at first but as the product oxidizes it thickens. This foundation would probably work best if the model has a good complexion as the makeup is sheer and wouldn't be suitable for someone who needs a heavier coverage.  

Here is Brankas example of the MAC Face and Body Foundation:


MUA: Branka Vorkapic
Model: Rebecca 
As you can see the makeup looks very natural and fresh faced.

 To create this look Branka cleansed, toned and moisturized the face. As Rebecca has some dry patches on her skin, argan facial oil was added to the face and then sealed with a moisturizer. This helps keep the skin hydrated and keeps the appearance of the makeup smooth. 

Concealer was then added to the under eye area and any places where extra coverage may be needed. The product is mixed on the back of the hand first in order to warm it up ready for application to the face. This make it easier to apply and blend for a more flawless finish. 

To mix the Foundation it is essential that the models undertone is taken into account. When selecting the right colours, the products can be held against the skin so as to see which tones work. Once these were mixed the foundation was applied to the face starting at the jaw and chin areas. Places in need of extra coverage can be stippled over with foundation and blended. 

Braka then used MAC Strobe to highlight the face. She lightly applied it to the cheekbones, nose,chin,forehead and cupids bow. This side of the face is a more dewy look so only a small amount of product is needed (about the size of a 5 pence piece).

Mac Prep and Prime Powder is the dusted under the eyes and lightly on the face to set the foundation. 

Brankas example of MAC Full Coverage Foundation:

MUA: Branka Vorkapic
Model: Rebecca

On the opposite side of the face MAC Full coverage foundation was used. As this foundation has a thicker cream consistency it can look cakey on dry skin. I think this foundation is more suited to a model who has more areas to conceal and hide. The foundation shade was then mixed with a spatula on the back of the hand and was applied to the face. The same shade of concealer was then added to the under eye area and buffed in with a fluffy brush. The reason the concealer was added after the foundation is because where this foundation is heavier you may not need much concealer. MAC Strobe cream was added to the forehead,chin, nose and cheekbones although slightly heavier than the previous application. MAC Prep and Prime Powder was then used to set the under eye concealer. 

Products - 

MAC Pro Concealer Palette
MAC Face and Body Foundation
MAC Full Coverage Foundation
MAC Strobe Highlighting Cream
MAC Prep and Prime Face Powder 

In person the class agreed that the MAC Face and Body foundation made the face look as if her face was naturally flawless, however in photographs the MAC Full Coverage Foundation seemed to look better. 

After this demo we got into pairs and tried it out for ourselves. 

 As I didn't have the MAC Pro Concealer Palette I used Derma Colour. As this product is extremely thick I mixed the shade on the back of my hand to warm the product, just like Branka showed me. My model has quite a bit of redness on the face so after prepping the face I concealed it with Derma Colour. I gently dabbed product on the areas and buffed it out. I then followed the same steps as in the demo. 

This is how the MAC Face and Body side turned out:

MUA: Chelsey Pavey
Model: Heather


Then next side was created by using the MAC Full Coverage Foundation. I mixed up the foundation colour with a spatula to heat up with product and then applied it to the face. I then stippled over any areas that needed more coverage. Again I followed the same steps as before and this was the result:

MUA: Chelsey Pavey
Model: Heather


Products:

Derma Colour Palette
MAC Face and Body Foundation
MAC Full Coverage Foundation
MAC Strobe Highlighting Cream
Ben Nye Fair Face Powder


Evaluation


I really loved learning about the difference in products in this session. I was surprised at how my opinion of MAC Face and Body changed after the session as I wasn't really a massive fan of it before as I felt it was too sheer and runny.

 I personally feel like I could do a lot better on the flawless base as I could still see a bit of redness on the skin. If I had more time I think I could have tried to conceal the problem areas a bit more. Now I know that I should also work on my time management so  that I have more time to correct any mistakes. I know that with more practice I will pick up the pace. I also felt unfamiliar with some of the products I used like the Derma Colour Palette. I think Derma Colour is bit heavy for a regular concealer but as my model has redness it worked as I needed a product to cancel that out. I also feel that in person I was a bit unsatisfied with how the makeup sat on the skin as it tended to cake up in places therefore I know I have to use more hydrating products and moisturizers on certain areas. Although the skin looked quite flawless when I looked in the mirror which made me feel like I achieved something from the practice. 












  

No comments:

Post a Comment