Saturday 17 October 2015

Carmen Rollers

Hair: Carmen Rollers

This weeks lesson was on how to correctly apply heated rollers in a brick set which had a side parting. This was interesting as I have never set the hair in a side parting before and was curious to see the difference.

My lecturer Emma gave us a demo and started off by brushing the hair giving it a side parting. The Carmen rollers were already plugged in so they were hot and ready to use. Each section of hair was spritzed with setting spray so the hair would hold the curl. The section of hair should be the width and length of the roller in order for the hair to curl. If the curl should be tighter then less hair can be taken in the roller. When applying tension to the hair it should be at a 90 degree angle.The hair should be placed on top of the roller with the ends tucked underneath and then rolled in the direction of the head.  She then proceeded to put in the first roller by taking a section of the hair from the parting and rolling it in the hair. The rollers face side-wards at the front other than a normal brick set where the rollers would be set facing forwards. The front row of rollers were complete and then the two rollers behind the center row were sectioned at an angle. The rest of the hair was then set in the normal brick work fashion and pinned in place. We then got to try this method out for ourselves.

Here is some pictures from the demo:


Hair by: Emma Croombes


Hair by: Emma Croombes

Once the rollers were cool Emma then took them out and brushed the hair through with a Denman brush. This softened the curls and gave the hair volume but made the ends a bit wispy. Emma then took a tail comb and re-curled the ends around her finger. She also showed us a sleeker version of the style just for those who manage to master this technique before the end of the session. This involved using silver sectioning clips and a comb and clipping the clips into a finger waving 'S' shape. As the hair has a wave from the roller set the hair should naturally fall into shape. The process of combing the hair and clipping the waves makes the hair more smooth.



Tools used:

Carmen Rollers
Tail Comb
Denman Brush
Setting Spray


I followed the same process Emma showed me. I found putting the rollers in a little challenging whilst holding my tail comb and making sure the ends were tucked around the roller so as to avoid hook ends. I also ran out of red rollers as I used more red rollers on one side than the other. By using smaller rollers on one side and larger ones on the opposite it made one side fall a lot flatter than the other. I now realize I should have evened each side out to get the same lift and volume. This made it hard to dress the hair out as this made one side of the hair look longer than the other. 

Here are some pictures of how my recreation turned out:


Hair by Chelsey Pavey

Hair by Chelsey Pavey


Evaluation


I enjoyed this lesson but I don't believe it was very successful on my part. I didn't manage to create the sleek hairstyle as I was having problems with the first style we learned about. When dressing the hair I found that one side was longer than the other and it didn't quite have the same shape as the other side. Speaking to Emma I then found out this is because I set the hair unevenly as the rollers were of different sizes. If I was to do the process again I would make sure the rollers were even on each size and by doing this I believe I would have a more accurate result. 

No comments:

Post a Comment