Tuesday 27 October 2015

Hair straight blowdry

Hair: Straight blowdry

The subject of last weeks hair lesson was hair straightening. Our lecturer Emma first washed the hair and then used a towel to take out the excess water. She then combed the hair through with a comb and sectioned it off leaving a section at the bottom. She got a hair dryer with a nozzle and used a paddle brush through the hair while the nozzle was angled so the air would be directed from the top. This pushes the cuticle of the hair downwards to make it smooth and undamaged. Emma also demonstrated using a round brush to straighten the hair. Round brushes are to be twirled in your hand as this keeps tension in the hair which helps it dry straight. Serum can be added once the straight blow dry is finishes as this stops the hair from frizzing. 

After our demo we picked a model and began the process by first washing the hair. In the demo we were taught to shampoo the hair twice and condition it once. This ensures the hair is squeaky clean. We were shown massage techniques which can be used to lather and apply product in the hair as well as relax the model. These techniques are called; Effleurage, Rotary and Petrissage.

Effleurage is a stroking movement which is usually used to first apply product or remove it. 

Rotary is used to massage the head in circular movements. This can be used to lather up the shampoo and break down any dirt or grease in the scalp as well as be comforting to the client. 

Petrissage is usually a slow kneading movement. This is often used to work the conditioner in the hair.

After trying out these massage techniques and once the hair was clean I then wrapped towel round my models hair and then returned to a station where I sectioned the hair. My model has a middle parting so I sectioned the hair in four, leaving a section out the the bottom. I then used a Denman brush and a hairdryer to straighten the hair. My model had naturally wavy hair so I found the ends were curling slightly. I asked Emma what I should do about this and her advice was to give the hair more tension by using a paddle brush. In doing this I found it was a lot easier to cover larger areas of the hair at the same time. I carried out this process till all of the hair was straight and dry by taking out small sections working upwards towards the front of the head. I again asked Emma for assistance as I felt the hair had flyaways and was a bit frizzy. Her advice was to add serum which I then stroked through the hair.

 Here is my final outcome:


Hair By: Chelsey Pavey
Model: Rebecca

Hair By: Chelsey Pavey
Model: Rebecca
Products Used:

Shampoo
Conditioner
Serum

Tools Used:

Hair Dryer
Denman Brush
Paddle Brush
Section Comb
Hair Clips


Evaluation


I enjoyed this lesson even though I found it to be a bit of a challenge. My final outcome still had a little bit of a kink at he bottom but as I ran overtime I wasn't able to correct it. After I used Emma's advice during the process I found my technique felt better and the outcome was improving. One of the hardest things for me during a straight blow dry is getting used to having tools in both hands but after a while I felt I got into a good flow. I also think once i'm more used to the movements my arms will ache less and I will be able to carry out the straight blow dry a lot faster. Overall I am happy with what I achieved in this lesson although I can see my weaknesses with this particular subject but I am confident that with more practice I can perfect this skill. 


No comments:

Post a Comment