Tuesday 9 August 2016

Inner Demons Makeup

Inner Demons Makeup


As Halloween is around the corner I wanted to start creating some more spooky and gory looks. I created a look a while back of a gory masquerade mask and wanted to do something like that but with my whole face peeling off instead of just the eye area. In order to make it even more creepy I thought I could do a makeup look underneath so I thought about what I wanted that look to be I thought about what things people fear and knew that it was hard as everyone has different fears. I suddenly realized one thing everyone has in common and it is in fact our fears. Our own personal inner demons are all different but we all have them so I wanted to create my inner demon and rip off my face to reveal it. 

This look has more of a long process than my others as there is more prep work behind this. I had to face cast myself in order to make the latex copy of my face.

Face Chart 

Here is the design for the inner demon makeup -

Inner Demon Makeup Face Chart
MUA: Chelsey Pavey


Casting Process (Steps 1-5) /latex face (Steps 6-7) - 


Products 

Vaseline 
Plaster Bandage 
Plaster 
Warm Water 
Scissors
Box with rolled up towels
PVA Glue 
Sandpaper
Foundation (Avon Ideal Flawless in 'Nude')
Translucent Powder
Contour Powder (MAC Shadester)
Blush (Dollymix by MAC)
Eyeshadows (MAC 'Sketch', 'Goldmine'and 'Carbon')
Kryolan Mascara Cake 
Skin Illustrator (optional)
MUA Lip Stain in 'Reckless'
Lashes 
Superglue

Step by Step - 


1) I put Vaseline all over my face and even more through my eyebrow hair and lashes. This makes sure the plaster bandage doesn't stick to the hairs and pull them out when you remove it. It also eases the release of the dry plaster bandage. I got my mum to assist me with the next step as I was doing it on myself but needed to cover my eyes at one point which is when she stepped in. I then took a bowl of warm water and cut up plaster bandage into strips. The strips varied from thick to thin, long to short to cover different areas. I wet the bandage and ran two fingers down the length of it to get off the excess water, I then started applying it all over my face. When doing this its good to have hand signals with your assistant so they know if something is wrong as your mouth and eyes can be covered. Once the whole face is covered (aside from the nostrils) the bandage can be left a few minutes to set.

2) Once the bandage feels solid I started moving my face under it (raising my eyebrows, smiling, wrinkling my nose) This loosens the mask and makes it easier to get off. Its good to have someone help you remove the mask and it may be difficult.

3) Once the mask was off I then covered it in my plaster bandage on areas which looked a little thin (hold the mask to the light and if you can see the light through it then it needs some more layers). The nostrils also needed covering otherwise when the plaster is poured in it will spill out of them.

4) I then let it dry. Once it was completely dry I covered the inside with Vaseline and then put it in a box with towels around the edges. This will give the mold something to rest on and keep it level so the plaster doesnt drip out. I mixed up the plaster ( some different brands may vary in ratio of water to plaster, I just made sure mine has a slightly melted ice cream or thick milkshake consistency). I poured this into the mold and let it set over night.

5) I removed the face cast out of the plaster bandage by pulling on the edges all the way round and then eventually pulling it all off slowly. The Vaseline should've aided the removal. I wash the cast over to remove the Vaseline (washing up liquid helps remove Vaseline), and let it dry. I then sanded the surface to make it smooth with sandpaper. To protect it I put on a few layers of PVA Glue, this also fills in any holes or grooves which I couldn't sand away.

6) Now its time for the making of the actual latex copy of my face. I got this method from Glam&Gore tutorial of a snake which shed its skin, I'm going to post the link below. I started by applying Vaseline all over the face cast. I then started applying liquid latex with a sponge. I let this dry in between layers and applied about 6+ layers. The whole thing was then powdered and I went in with a foundation all over the latex piece. I used an old Avon foundation that I don't use but kept, it worked well for this look. I recommend using a foundation which is cheaper than some big brands because its a waste to use an expensive product especially as you might have to do a few layers to get even coverage. Thicker formulas work better and cream foundation would also probably work. I set the foundation with powder like I normally would on the face.

7) I shaded under the cheeks bones slightly with a contour powder and added blush to the cheeks. The lips were painted on using a liquid lipstick as this has staying power and dries well. I used a cheaper lip stain by MUA in red ('Reckless'). The eyebrows are painted in with short brush strokes and I used Kryolan Mascara Cake in brown to make an outline and then darkened this with the Black. A skin Illustrator Palette works just as well if not better. The eyes are closed so I painted a lash line over where I think it would naturally sit if my eyes were closed (usually closer to the bottom than in the middle of the eye area as you have lid space to account for too). I used black for this and then blended some eye shadows on the 'eyelid' to make it look more real. 'Goldmine' on the lid, 'Sketch' in the crease and 'Carbon' on the outer corner. Lashes were glued onto the lash line with super glue as lash glue didn't quite stick enough.

To remove from the cast I used powder and a brush and as i peeled off the latex I coated it in powder so the underside doesn't stick to itself.

Latex Copy of my Face
MUA: Chelsey Pavey

Demon Makeup -


Products 

Snazaroo Facepaints in Red, Black and White

Maybelline Gel Liner in Black
Black Pencil Liner
Kryolan Supracolors in , 512 Green, 303 Yellow, 082 Dark red, 071 Black,517 Grey and 091 Blue
MUA Matte Winter Forest Palette
Mascara
Kryolan Grey Aquacolor 32B
MUA Romantic Efflorescence Palette (Corrupt)



Step by Step - 

1) I started the makeup by drawing in the mouth outline with Black Facepaint by Snazaroo. Once this is done I then paint the face with a light grey colour (32B Aquacolor by Kryolan). I painted the teeth in the mouth outline next with a black face paint, making long triangular shapes and then filling them in with white facepaint. The eyebrows were then painted on with short thin strokes of black face paint starting a bit further down than the start of the natural brow and angled up heavily then sweeping down to create a harsh arch. This will make the facial expression more angry.

2) The red eyes are painted on my eyelids and just on my socket line in a circular shape with red face paint. I used black face paint to outline the top of this and then lined the upper lash line with the same paint. I then took a black pencil liner and lined the waterline. Using a grey Supracolor by Kryolan (517) I blended this into the inner corner just under the painted brow and took this under my lower lash line, I blended this down in the inner corner where a natural dark under eye would be. My natural brow is in the position to be a new crease so I used the same grey colour Supracolor and put this into my brow. I created frown lines in between the brows curving upwards and little lines going from the inner corners to the center of the nose bridge to make the demon appear more creepy. I raised my natural eyebrows and created lines on the forehead where my natural forehead crinkles up. I put another curved along the top of the arch of the brow. The cheekbones were then put in place with the same shade going along the cheekbone and coming down slightly to curve around the mouth. The corner of the painted mouth were accentuated with lines around them too. Little lines are added at the sides of the mouth.

3) A pointy shape is painted on the nose above the nostrils to make them appear more lizard-like, you may need to paint around the natural nostril so it all appears black to make the illusion work. Lines are added on the sides of the nose and the end of the nose has the grey colour blended upon it. A black Supracolor (071) and applied this around the painted eyes as well as under my lower lash line. I set this with black powder ('Corrupt' from the MUA Romantic Efflorescence Palette). I also applied grey Supracolor around the folds of the nose (where the nostrils are).

4) Veins were drawn around the eye with supracolor with the colours: 303 Yellow, 082 Dark Red, 091 blue mixed with black and 512 Green. The catlike pupil is painted on the eye with Maybelline Gel liner in Black. A white dot is then added to the centre of this. Little Yellow and Dark Red tiny swiggles can be put on the red eyes around the pupil. Mascara was added to lashes to darken them.The teeth are shaded at the top edge with 'Camel' (Peach) and 'Chino' (Light Brown) from the MUA Matte Winter Forest Palette.


This is the final look:


Inner Demons Makeup
MUA: Chelsey Pavey

Inner Demons Makeup
MUA: Chelsey Pavey


This look was really fun to create and I'm happy with the outcome. If I was to do it again I think I would create the veins with a Skin Illustrator Palette instead of Supracolor as the colours seemed to blend together and didn't keep the look I was originally going for as it ended up a bit messy.

Here is the link for the Glam&Gore video on how to make a Latex face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0GJaAycJao


No comments:

Post a Comment