Sunday 15 May 2016

Mask Making Theme: Masquerade Balls of Louis XIV

Mask Making Theme: Masquerade Balls of Louis XIV


I also had to research the masquerade balls of Louis the XIV. I loved researching this theme as I adore the detail and rich colours used in pieces of work which share the same theme. I went a bit more in to research with this theme as it was heavily considered as the theme for my final project. I ended up choosing another theme but still thoroughly enjoyed looking into this one.

The Man in the Iron Mask Film - 


Leonardo Di Caprio played Louis XIV in the 1998 film The Man in the Iron Mask, but Versailles is being produced by a French station, Canal Plus
The Man in the Iron Mask starring Leonardo Di Caprio
There is a film called 'The Man in the Iron Mask' which follows the story of King Louis the XIV.  The costumes, hairstyles and accessories are beautiful and elaborate. Gold, red and royal blue are colours which feature heavily in this film and they are colours which I would put on a mask design to make it appear like it belongs in this time. Swirling patterns in the embroidery and wood work give me an idea as to the pattern I could incorporate on a mask or head dress design. 

Lan Nguyen Grealis, Art and Makeup Book - 

Image from Lan Nyguyen Grealis's Book, Art and Makeup

I have recently bought Lan's Book, Art and Makeup. Whenever I feel I am lacking in creativity or need ideas I like to flick through this book to give me a reminder of different textures, colours and products I can use. In the book there is a period section which is where I thought of looking when researching what makeup I could do for this theme. There wasn't makeup around in the time Louis reigned but I would've liked to pale the face down with a white Face and Body Foundation by MAC as this isn't too heavy and the skin would be able to be seen underneath. Blush would be on the apples and a nude would be one the lips with a baby pink n the center. Natural lashes would be applied to the lash line. 


Christian Dior Fall 2006 Haute Couture - 

Christian Dior Fall 2006 Haute Couture Design 
 In researching different catwalks and fashion by designers regarding the Louis the XIV theme I found that Christian Dior seemed to have exactly what I was looking for. The fall collection of 2006 featured this beautiful outfit and head dress which practically dripped in gold. The embroidery was just as intricate as the clothing in the films about the Sun King. I love the idea of using pearls or gold beads on the head for the headdress/ mask. 

Christian Diors 2009 Collection
 Christian Dior also released this in the 2009 collection which has all the colours within this theme; red, gold and black. I love the shapes created as the corset-like top and bold skirt gives me direction when thinking about costume design. 

References 



I.dailymail.co.uk. (2016). [online] Available at: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/04/1412446986485_Image_galleryImage_LEONARDO_DiCAPRIO_AS_THE_.JPG [Accessed 16 May 2016].

Lan-makeup.com. (2016). [online] Available at: http://www.lan-makeup.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_1440-940x1148.jpg [Accessed 16 May 2016].

S-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com. (2016). [online] Available at: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/39/88/01/398801f13fd8b549950196bec9282ee4.jpg [Accessed 16 May 2016].

S-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com. (2016). [online] Available at: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/4e/a6/a1/4ea6a190da54888ea54b4be79f66cc44.jpg [Accessed 16 May 2016].


No comments:

Post a Comment