Monday 16 May 2016

Hair and Makeup Step by Step for Chosen Theme

Hair and Makeup Step by Step for Chosen Theme 


I have 2 hours to complete a hair and makeup look which represents the theme I have chosen: Day of the Dead.





Health and Safety for Hair:


Ensure that there are no trailing wires and any wires that are hazardous are tucked away.


Any spillages must be cleaned up immediately to avoid accidents.


All electrical equipment should be PAT tested by a qualified electrician.


All coats or bags must be tucked away or hung up.


All work stations must be clean before and after the service.


Any loose hair should be swept up and disposed of so it doesn't create a slippery surface.

Heath and Safety for Makeup Application:


All tools and brushes must be clean to avoid cross-infection/contamination.


The chair must be at the correct height in order for out to carry out the makeup application so as to avoid repetitive strain injuries.


Before makeup application ask if the client has any allergies


Also ask the client if they wear contact lenses


The skin and eyes should be checked for any contra indications which could prevent or restrict the treatment


Health and safety advice should be explained for if the client gets any reactions (contra actions) after the makeup application. This is to remove any makeup products from the skin and apply a cold compress if the skin appears heated or swollen. If the reaction doesn't appear to be improving then you should go to your GP for medical advice.


Disposable equipment should be used when possible to eliminate chances of cross infection/ contamination. Disposable equipment are tools such as sponges, cotton pads, cotton buds, and mascara wands.


Good lighting must be provided so you are able to see what you are doing. 


The room temperature should be at least 16 degrees. 


The room should also be well ventilated especially when airbrush makeup is in progress or chemicals are used. 


Products and Tools 

Eyelash glue 
Kryolan UV aqua colour paint
Stargazer neon body paint 
Black eye pencil
Hairspray 
Diamantes 
UV Lipstick
Sleek Acid Palette
Micellar Cleansing Water
Hairband
Hair Brush
Tail Comb

Step by Step 

9:00 - 9:20 Brush the hair through and put it in a french plait
9:20 - 9:25 Cleanse tone and moisturize the face 
9:25- 9:29 Apply UV yellow paint all over the face 
9:29 - 9:34 Use purple paint to make eye sockets around the eyes and outline with black
9:34 - 9:38 Dot around the eyes carefully with pink aqua colour
 9:38 - 9:42 Paint black lines on the cheeks to create cheekbones and blend with a yellow powder
9:42 - 9:44 Paint a nose on the skull 
9:44 - 9:50 Apply UV Lipstick to the lips and put black teeth marks on the lips
9:50 - 9:55 Draw swirling patterns on the cheekbones and apply blue petals
9:55 - 10:00 Draw leaves in black on chin and fill in with green paint 
10:00 - 10:05 Create petals with orange and pink paint and outline with black on chin 
10:05 - 10:07 The eyes are lined with black liner
10:07 - 10:27 The skeleton chest is painted on in yellow
10:27 - 10:30 UV orange is applied to the lashes 
10:30 - 10:45 Diamantes are stuck on the dots around the eyes
10:45 - 11:00 The hair is hair sprayed, roses are put in the hair and the mask is fitted

Evaluation 

What Went Well: 

I was really happy with how the makeup turned out. I managed to finish the makeup and hair in time. I loved the effect of the diamantes on the face and the roses in the hair as these elements seemed to really spice up the final image. I am glad I left time to do this. The costume, hair and makeup all came together and it really did reflect my theme of Day of the Dead so I was pleased. I think using yellow for the base was a good decision as it showed up so much brighter in UV as the white didn't seemed to in the practice which therefore makes me happy that I tried it out before the shoot. I left more time for the makeup than hair as I wanted to do a lot more painting of the face, neck and chest. This worked out nicely as my design was neater than in the practice as I had more time to execute my plan therefore I was was more careful with application. I felt like working with UV was a good idea too as I got to experience working with a new product and lighting which was a challenge in terms of the paint consistency and the lighting but I loved it nevertheless. This was my favorite assessment as I was able to be more creative than before and put my ideas together to make a final image from scratch. I had so much fun and was so excited to see the whole look put together. 

What I Could Improve on: 

I thought I could've had a neater plait in the hair, I got it pretty neat with the use of hairspray but I think towards the bottom it could have been pulled a bit tighter to the head. I am conscious not to hurt my model or pull on her hair too much but sometimes with plaits and braids the hair needs to be pulled tighter than normal to ensure it is close to the head. The UV paint isn't something that looks amazing on camera as the photographer warned me but I still took some photos with the lights on and in person it looks so bright so I am still happy. I feel like I should have done something more challenging with the hair but plaiting is still hard for me as I feel a bit cack handed with stuff like that and I wanted the focus to be more on the face as the veil of my headdress covers the hair anyway. I had to practice the hair and makeup beforehand to make sure it was right and change products and ideas around so i'm happy I did this as it minimized complications on the shoot day. Despite the challenge, I couldn't be happier with this assessment as I feel I have learnt a lot from it especially since this was the most hands on I have been for an assessment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment