Sunday 15 May 2016

Mask Making Theme: Day of the Dead

Mask Making Theme: Day of the Dead


My final theme to research was Day of the Dead. I also chose this theme for my final mask and headdress. I really enjoy Halloween and face painting so this theme seems to be one where I can combine those two things and create an image I will have a lot of fun in executing. 

Lady Gaga 'Born This Way' Music Video - 


Lady Gaga and Rick Genest In the 'Born This Way' Music Video
When thinking of Day of the Dead which heavily features skeletons, This music video comes to mind. Over the Halloween period many request the look from this video which is why I instantly looked it up again for research and this is a Halloween theme. Lady Gaga has a painted skull to match Rick Genest's skull which is actually tattooed on his skin.

American Horror Story, Tate Skull Makeup - 

American Horror Story's character 'Tate' in skull makeup




This look is another one which sticks in my mind as it is also highly requested for a skull look on Halloween and is very similar to Lady Gaga's makeup in 'Born This Way'. As a fan of American Horror Story I have seen this episode and even wish to create the look myself so it was easy to pick this for inspiration of my final makeup. 

Anna Lingis Make up Artist - 


Anna Lingis's body paint for IMATS in 2015

Anna Lingis is one of the Makeup Artists which inspires me most. She does a lot of body and face paint and really does focus on skulls which seems to be her forte. I love looking at her different variations of skulls and I saw one a few months ago which sparked off an idea once I have finally chose my theme. She did a UV Skeleton Body Paint at IMATS in London 2015 and I instantly thought of doing my makeup in UV to give it that something extra. I plan on doing a sugar skull as that's whats more traditional in Day of the Dead rather than a normal skeleton. Sugar Skulls are not as challenging though so I thought I could work with different products and lighting to give me more experience. I've always found UV fascinating and definitely wanted to give it a try. 

Iris Van Herpen Capriole Haute Couture Collection - 

Iris Van Herpen Capriole Haute Couture Collection

When researching this theme on catwalks I discovered the Iris Van Herpen Capriole Haute Couture Collection. She develops 3D dresses with the help of an Architect and used this collection to create pieces which are drawn from the idea of life forces, the construction of them and the energy that runs through them. One piece particularly caught my eye as it is Skeleton-like. I have never seen a dress like this before and it gave me an insight in to how someone could make what should be inside the body, be wrapped around it as if showing off the bones inside. I also love how some almost have a dark and Gothic theme which is something I am more likely to have in my own costume to complete the look. 

Marko Mitanovski, Fashion Designer - 

Marko Mitanovski is a fashion designer who creates pieces which are heavily structured and pretty avant garde. I love his work as I first came across it as I researched some of Lady Gaga's outfits and found out he was the man behind it all. I like how unique and wacky his pieces are as they make the body almost look as if it is built in a different shape, with the tiny tiny waists and pointed hips. Some pieces are dark and heavily sequined or beaded which reflects the Gothic feel to my theme. some of his looks from the Autumn/Winter 15 Collection feature masks and head dress too which really helped when designing my own pieces. 

Pieces from Marko Mitanovski's Autumn /Winter 15 Collection
Pieces from Marko Mitanovski's Autumn/Winter 15 Collection
The image above gave me an insight into how I could use different textures and materials on my mask to mix up my ideas and give them something unique. I decided to use diamantes in black, silver and red to decorate my papier mache which is similar to the picture above. I like the use of black body paint too and considered this for my final piece but as my makeup is UV I think it will stand out clearly without it. 

Lena Hoschek SS13 Catwalk - 

Lena Hoschek Spring/Summer 13 Catwalk is so fun and vibrant and just what I wanted to look for when conducting my research. The models wear sugar skull makeup which perfectly fits my theme and the clothing is bright with patterns which compliment this. This particular catwalk gave me so much inspiration for both clothing ideas and makeup designs for sugar skulls. Swirling patterns and different shaped necklines as well as the use of bold colours really give off the Mexican vibe. The head dresses also feature flowers which is reflected in my design too. 

Lena Hoschek SS13 Collection

Lena Hoschek SS13 Catwalk
Lena Hoschek SS13 Catwalk



References 

Media4.popsugar-assets.com. (2016). [online] Available at: http://media4.popsugar-assets.com/files/2011/02/09/1/192/1922153/aa5587288ccc922d_manicures-and-makeup-from-lady-gaga-born-this-way-9/i/Why-Lady-Tat.jpg [Accessed 16 May 2016].

Polyvore.com. (2016). [online] Available at: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=108612124 [Accessed 16 May 2016].

1yrln31s4mjs32ay1a3kt691.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com. (2016). [online] Available at: http://1yrln31s4mjs32ay1a3kt691.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/LDN15_Anna_Lingist_Zoe_Newlove_BNW0495.jpg [Accessed 16 May 2016].

Google.co.uk. (2016). iris van herpen capriole haute couture - Google Search. [online] Available at: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=iris+van+herpen+capriole+haute+couture&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiR89SHxt7MAhWKI8AKHZeUA5MQ_AUIBygB#imgrc=19aVH9M9vwEv9M%3A [Accessed 16 May 2016].

Dashmagazine.net. (2016). [online] Available at: http://dashmagazine.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/DASH-Magazine-Marko-Mitanovski-AW15-5.jpg [Accessed 16 May 2016].

Dashmagazine.net. (2016). [online] Available at: http://dashmagazine.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/DASH-Magazine-Marko-Mitanovski-AW15-4.jpg [Accessed 16 May 2016].

S-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com. (2016). [online] Available at: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/54/09/f9/5409f9cf70affece54c00959bfa99389.jpg [Accessed 16 May 2016].

S-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com. (2016). [online] Available at: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f1/01/ac/f101ac715bd0d8ef67f9511a2aaed43b.jpg [Accessed 16 May 2016].





No comments:

Post a Comment