Tuesday 16 February 2016

Bleached Brows and Glitter Makeup

Makeup: Bleached Brows and Glitter Makeup

I missed my lessons on glitter makeup and bleached brows as I had an appointment so I combined the two lessons together for one look which covers both. For this lesson I don't have notes for the demo as I wasn't there and apparently my classmates didn't have notes either. I spoke to people who were in the lesson and learned that they took a lot of inspiration from Pat McGrath. I recently bought Lan Nguyen Grealis's Book 'Art and Makeup' and decided to take inspiration from there instead. I liked how colourful her images were and how she used different textures and techniques to give her work character.


For the lesson most of the images I saw were mainly focused on the eyes, which is where the glitter and detail were. After looking through Lan's book I really wanted to take it a step further and let my imagination take over.

Bleached brows - 

The technique I will use today is useful for getting the bleached brows effect without actually having to bleach them. Using the Derma Color Palette I mixed D7, D2 and D3 to make a dirty blonde tone and with a spoolie I combed this through the brow hairs till I was happy with the coverage. 

This is the outcome of the bleached brow - 


Bleached Brows by Chelsey Pavey

I then began with the rest of the makeup. I used MAC's Full Coverage Foundation for the base and set this with translucent powder. Urban Decay Primer Potion was applied to the lid and set with the eye shadow 'Thirteen' which is a pale base tone from the Urban Decay Smoky Palette. I then used cello tape under the lower lash line extending towards the temples and used another patterned tape above this which went from the socket line to the temples. I took the Urban Decay Spectrum Palette and used the shadow 'Flat line' in the inner corner and blended this upwards and onto the inner lid. I then used the Ruby Hammer Pink Pigment on the lid and blended this up to the patterned tape. Then blended this in the inner corner and slightly down the bridge of the nose. 

The 'Blue Sky' Pigment from Supercover was then pressed on top of the tape and blended up the temples to the forehead along the hairline. Purple Pigment from Ruby Hammer was blended over the tape to the crease and blended into the blue. 'Flat line' was added along the brow bone. I then took 'Black Market' from the Urban Decay Smoky Palette and blended this on the upper lash line and the lower lash line but only going 3/4 of the way inwards. A black eye pencil was added to the waterline. 'Flat line' was buffed into the edges of the blue on the temples and was used to mark out the curves lines on the forehead. The purple pigment was added along the hairline and the pink pigment was used to create the heart shape on the forehead and blended back into the purple of the hairline. 

Hairspray was combed through the hair to slick it back. I then used white hairspray all over the front of the hair for a base. Pink hair spray was sprayed in the middle section of the hair and purple was sprayed on either side of this. Blue was added to the edges on each side to finish off the hair. 

Vaseline was applied everywhere the pigments were applied. Using the same finger I applied the Vaseline with I dabbed this in to the Helen E White Glitter and pressed this onto the middle of the heart shape on the forehead and along the tape on the eye. The Barry M White Glitter was then applied to the edges of the curved lines and on the temples. Both Glitters were dusted in the hair. I then removed all the tape to reveal my pattern. I made the pattern bolder by using the Kryolan Cream Liner in 'Snow' to fill it in. The White Greasepaint from the Kryolan Supracolor Palette was then taken on a spoolie and combed through the upper and lower lashes. The Blue Sky Pigment was then added in a line under the black of the lower lash line. The eyes were now complete. 

Glitter Makeup by Chelsey Pavey


I had to touch up the foundation as the cello tape left a mark in the base as the foundation stuck to it when I pulled it off. This was powdered to set it and I used the Light Purple Highlight shade from the Revolution 'Sugar and Spice' Palette on the cheekbones. The Pink Pigment was added for a contour shade under the cheekbones and further depth was added with the Purple Pigment. The lips were kept fairly light with the MAC 'Pretty Please' Lipstick and I dabbed 'Show Orchid' in the inner bottom lip and focused it more in the center. 

I wanted to extend this look onto the neck so I used the Kryolan White Aquacolor all over the neck and ears. Once dry I took a fluffy brush and loaded it with the Blue Pigment and flicked it on the skin. I repeated this process with the Purple and Pink Pigments, and the Light Purple Highlight from the Revolution Palette. The Barry M White Glitter was then dusted on my neck to complete the look.

Colourful Glitter Makeup by Chelsey Pavey

Colourful Flicked Pigments on the neck
MUA: Chelsey Pavey

Eye Detail with Pigments and Glitter
MUA: Chelsey Pavey


Products 

Blue Hair Spray 
Hair Spray 
Pink Hair Spray 
Purple Hair Spray 
White Hair Spray 
Derma Color Palette
Kryolan Supracolor Palette
Ruby Hammer Pink Pigment
Ruby Hammer Purple Pigment
Supercover 'Blue Sky' Pigment 
Barry M White Glitter
Helen E White Glitter
Black Eye Pencil
Urban Decay Primer Potion
Urban Decay Spectrum Palette
Urban Decay Smoky Palette
Kryolan Aqua Color Palette
Kryolan Cream Liner in 'Snow'
MAC Full Coverage Foundation
Revolution 'Sugar and Spice' Palette
Translucent Powder
Vaseline
MAC Lipstick in 'Show Orchid' 
MAC Lipstick in 'Pretty Please' 

Makeup Detail and Bleached Brows
MUA: Chelsey Pavey


Evaluation 

What Went Well: Considering I didn't have a plan of what I was going to do so I was really pleased with how this look turned out. I'm glad I decided to take this look further than just the eyes and I liked the effect of putting products on the neck and hair too. I'm really happy I decided to look through Lan's book for inspiration as I think I would have kept this a lot more tame but seeing how she puts together her work by incorporating the hair and body I got carried away. I like the broad use of products with this look too as it combines a lot of different brands together which I love to do as it enables me to see which products work well together. I liked the effect of the bleached brows as I didn't want them to be the main focus with this look o the pairing of these two lessons worked well.


What I Could Improve On: Although this look was made for practice with glitter, I don't think it is very visible in photos. This could be due to it being White and it only changes colour when it reflects in the light so it can be harder to capture in photographs. The lipstick could have been freshly applied for the photos too as the colours aren't as bold as they could be. I wish I made the hair wavy at the bottom to give it a bit of texture but as I didn't expect to go this far with the look I didn't take it in to consideration. The patterned tape was definitely effective but it didn't come out as clear as I would've hoped so I had to fill in the pattern with Cream Liner. I don't think it was as clean as I would have liked in the finish but I think it contrasts well with the other colours. I thought about applying a white base before the tape was applied but when the tape is removed it would still take the product underneath with it so I think the option I went for was the best. 

Makeup by Chelsey Pavey



No comments:

Post a Comment